Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Shabby Ruffle Fabric Holiday Wreath Tutorial

I've been hosting a link party here called "Tell Me Tuesday, and I have seen some great projects that I am going to make, like this mobile and a pieced applique t-shirt for my daughter based on this tutorial and this one.

The minute I clicked over to Polka Dots and Pizza and saw Michelle's Christmas Wreath, I immediately ran out to get the materials I would need to make my own. Seriously--hers is SO CUTE that I was jealous and had to have one of my very own. Michelle says that her Mom taught her how to make the project when she was 8. That made me smile from ear to ear!

Oh, and Michelle is also hosting a Tuesday Link Party, so after you submit your project to mine, hop over to hers!

Photobucket


Here's the Vintage Pollyanna version. I call it the Shabby Ruffle Fabric Holiday Wreath.

You'll need a few different coordinating fabrics, not much. I just was at the fabric store and bought some fun Christmas fabric that was 50% off SCORE!!!! You will also need a foam wreath, a rotary cutter with a pinking blade (or pinking shears), a cutting mat and guide, and a pencil with a sharpened tip.



First I began to cut 2" strips of fabric with my rotary cutter. I cut one strip of fabric (which was folded from the store) from each of five fabrics.


Next I approximated between 2" and 21/2" horizontal cuts across the strips to make (ahem) squares. (Hey, I did say this was a shabby wreath--and YOU KNOW I'm not exact about ANYTHING.)


Here is a completely unnecessary pic of the little fabric squares arranged OCD-like around the wreath.


Take a square of fabric, lay it on the wreath, and push the sharp end of the pencil down into the wreath.


VOILA. It sticks. AND STAYS! (I was a little shocked.) No messy glue gun? Yup. I'm a happy crafter.


Here I am about a 5th of the way around.


All the fabric is in! And folks--this took me about 15 minutes. NO JOKE. (Michelle, I LOVE YOU!!!)


I added a little grosgrain bow that I made, and another bit of ribbon to hang it.


SO CUTE!!!


Now go make one!





This post is a part of the following link parties:

Dare to DIY

Making

Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts

We Did It Wednesday at Sew Much Ado

Creation Corner's Friday Link Party

10 comments:

  1. You did a great job! It looks really cute! I love the fabrics you used! I didn't post in mine, but I definately broke my wreath in half! I was out of hot glue so I stuck toothpicks in it to hold it together! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the wreath! A great way to play with fabric. Can't wait to see the shirt for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for inviting me over! Well I am having 15% off in my Etsy store right now if your interested in getting any. I love mine there wonderful! And unique.
    I didn't seam to find a linky, but I'll look again. Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison- I'm completely in love with this wreath! I love the colors and the whimsical results. I am writing a post right now on my DIY Christmas rag wreath that is a bit similar to this...but less sophisticated in execution :) I'll be a new follower today.

    I have a Holiday Link Share I'd love you to participate in. You can join it here: http://bit.ly/h0FA83

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute!! What a great way to get rid of scraps

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your scrap wreath! Something about these just always catches my eye! I love mine, but I really love the way you've done yours. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable. Looks much more time consuming, so it's great that it was quick, too. (I have no patience.)

    Thanks for linking to Dare to DIY this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! Will have to add a few more things to my Weekend Hobby Lobby Pick-up List! Thanks for the fun idea! :^) Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful and amazing!! I fell in love with it instantly and can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing. You have a new follower!

    Ashley P.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so beautiful & easy to make! Thinking of making this for my Christmas wreather this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love your feedback!